Radnor Park open for play

With the summer holidays underway, the new Radnor Park play area is in full swing.


The Radnor Park Community Group - a group of local parents who wanted to improve their local park - raised a staggering £110,000 towards new play equipment, that was opened in time for the school summer holidays. 

It was all part of a major regeneration project at the park that also saw the reinstatement of a statue of Folkestone's patrol saint, St Eanswythe, the restoration of a fountain and the transformation of a former park keeper's lodge into a tearoom.

The fountain and statue were originally built by public subscription and unveiled by Sir Edward Watkin MP on 22 September 1888. In 1944 the statue was destroyed by enemy action and a later statue, erected in 1955, was reportedly removed by a drunken soldier in 1966 and has been missing ever since.

The Radnor Park regeneration project was supported by Shepway District Council, Folkestone Town Council, The Radnor Park Community Group, the Roger De Haan Charitable Trust, Folkestone Parks and Pleasure Ground Charities and East Kent College.