ModernGov

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Remote meeting

Contact: Kate Clark  Email: committee@folkestone-hythe.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

7.

Declarations of interest

Members of the Board should declare any discloseable pecuniary interest or any other significant interests in any item/s on this agenda.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest. 

8.

Minutes

To consider and approve the minutes of the meeting held on 21 September 2020. 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 21 September 2020 were approved and signed by the Chairman subject to Mr Dick Pascoe’s first name being added to the attendance list.   

9.

Overview of the Public Spaces Protection Order - Measure 7 (Unauthorised Camping)

At the last JTB held on 21 September 2020 members requested information around the benefits of a PSPO over a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO).  Briefing Note JTB/20/05 provides members with information of the PSPO in regards to what can be enforced and the areas.

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

At the last JTB held on 21 September 2020 members requested information around the benefits of a PSPO.  Briefing note JTB/20/05 provided members with this information which included enforcement and area details. 

 

The Community Safety Specialist took members through the report highlighting pertinent areas.

 

Members asked questions on the technicalities of the PSPO (Measure 7) as follows: 

 

·         Motorhome overnight ban – judgement needs to be used by the Enforcement Officer on whether the vehicle is breaching PSPO conditions. 

·         The current PSPO is due for review by June 2021.  The review would look at specific area problems, complaints received and any other problems in other areas where a PSPO would be of benefit.

 

Specific issues raised by members as follows and these will be looked at by officers:

 

·         Mr Whybrow – It was noted that there seems to be continuous parking on the grass verge at Princes Parade.  The Environmental Protection Senior Specialist advised that guidance could be given to the owner of the verge and whether it is causing a nuisance. 

·         Councillor Hobbs – It was noted that the North Downs area was free from PSPO restrictions and could this area be added?  Evidence of concerns and a number of complaints would be required along with offences being a continuous problem for a PSPO to be considered. 

·         Mr Pascoe – Junction at Crete Road West, there seems to be a problem with a transit style van repeatedly parking here.  Officers will look into this, however repeat notifications to the Council are helpful to ensure appropriate action is taken. 

·         Mr Hills – It was noticed that a number of motorhomes had been parking on the Dungeness Estate.  The owners of the Estate have moved these on, however it means that the motorhomes then park within the district.   Again, officers can look into and act upon any problems received.

 

Overall members felt that the Public Spaces Protection Order is a welcome addition to the District offering flexibility in tackling problems. 

 

RESOLVED:

That Briefing Note JTB/20/05 is received and noted.  

10.

Highway Forward Works Programme - 2020/21 onwards

Report JTB/20/03 updates members on the identified schemes approved for construction. 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Ms Lisa Willoughby, District Manager for Ashford, introduced this report in the absence of James Bowen who was unable to attend.  Ms Willoughby advised members she would be unable to answer specific queries, however, she is happy to refer queries on for a response. 

 

Members were pleased to see proposed and completed projects; Dover Hill – improvements in speed reduction; and works to be carried out at the Dunes Road, Greatstone, junction. 

 

Members praised the KCC Highways Team increased budget to secure further investment in the County’s roads. 

 

A concern was raised at the roundabout near Tescos at Cheriton where two accidents happened in one day, it could be caused by confusing signage and speeding vehicles coming off the motorway, along with continued construction works.  Kieron Greenaway, KCC Highways, assured members this will be looked into.  It was noted that there will be vast improvements once the works have been completed. 

 

School Road/Tanners Hill in Hythe.  A suggestion made to add rumble strips to the area where the speed limit reduces from 40mph, to 30mph and then 20mph at a fairly short segment of road. 

 

RESOLVED:

That Report JTB/20/05 is received and noted.  

 

 

 

 

11.

Local Winter Service Plan 2020/21

Report JTB/20/04 outlines the arrangements that have been made between Kent County Council and Folkestone & Hythe District Council to provide a local winter service in the event of an operational snow alert in the borough/district. 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Report JTB/20/04 outlined the arrangements that have been made between Kent County Council and Folkestone & Hythe District Council to provide a local winter service in the event of an operational snow alert in the district. 

 

In the absence of James Bowen, Lisa Willoughby, District Manager for Ashford, introduced this report.  She advised that as in previous years, KCC will provide gritting salt, however the district council has approximately 30 tonnes in stock which can be used initially. 

 

Members noted the following: 

 

·         Deliveries of gritting salt have been made to the parish councils.

·         Problematic roads in the district during the Winter have been given priority status for gritting. 

·         Kerton Road (Lydd on Sea) to be treated?  Ms Willoughby will check this.

·         The KCC Winter Service Plan for 2020/21 is to be made available on the KCC website. 

·         Snow code – members were keen to encourage residents to clear small areas of snow and ice.  A suggestion was made to circulate information to all parish councils on how residents can help. Ms Willoughby to check with James Bowen.   

·         Emergency Active Travel Fund – members were advised that KCC have been awarded an initial amount of £1.6m to encourage people to walk and cycle.  Further funding could be available. 

 

Members thanks officers for the work they are carrying out during this difficult time.

 

RESOLVED:

That Report JTB/20/04 is received and noted.