Venue: Boulogne Room - Civic Centre Folkestone
Contact: Kate Clark
Declarations of interest
Members of the Board should declare any discloseable pecuniary interest or any other significant interests in any item/s on this agenda.
There were no declarations of interest.
To consider and approve the minutes of the meeting held on 11 September 2017.
The minutes of the meeting held on 11 September 2017 were submitted, approved and signed by the Chairman. Prior to this members raised points outstanding from the last meeting as follows:
· Casualty Reduction Matter. Alkham Valley Road jw A260 Canterbury Road. Roundabout design and modelling works have been completed. Wendy Boustead, Project Manger, will keep Board members informed of any further progress.
· Developer Funded Works. Horn Street/Church Road. Signage has now been reinstalled, however, road markings now need to be replaced.
· Yellow lines in Elham. The Chairman, Mr Tony Hills, advised that Frederick Miller, Transportation Manager for the District, intends to take this request to the next JTB after assessment and that implementation will take place in the new financial year.
Councillor Stuart Peall was keen to know if there is any solution to the traffic problems at White Horse roundabout. He suggested the traffic lanes are reviewed. Wendy Boustead will provide an update.
Highway Works Programme
Report JTB/17/04 updates Members on the identified schemes approved for construction in 2017/18.
Report JTB/17/04 updated Members on the identified schemes approved for construction in 2017/18.
Members raised the following points:
· Footway improvement. Sandgate Road (Phase 2). Work to start on 8 January 2018.
· Drainage Repairs and Improvements. Church Hill. Completion date required. James Bowen, Operations Engineer, to advise. Bunkers Hill, Elham, this work is ongoing with a completion date of 1 December 2017, weather permitting.
· Street lighting. Royal Military Avenue (from North Road to St Marks Close) members reported that the street lights have disappeared. James Bowen to investigate.
· Local Growth Funded Works. Members asked how much involvement do Cycle Shepway and other groups have with the design and implementation of the cycle routes. Damien Cock, Project Manager advised he has a meeting arranged with Cycle Shepway and Hythe Town Council to discuss Phase 2 Hythe to Dymchurch.
New Shared Use Pedestrian Footway/Cycleway, Cheriton Road and Earls Avenue, Folkestone
Report JTB/17/05 shows the results of the proposed shared use pedestrian footway/cycleway – Cheriton Road and Earl’s Avenue, Folkestone.
Report JTB/17/05 showed the results of the proposed shared use pedestrian footway/cycleway – Cheriton Road and Earls Avenue, Folkestone.
Damien Cock, Project Manager, presented the report to Members.
Members were concerned about shared use and the perceived risk to pedestrians with regard to cyclists using the same area. Mr Cock advised there are no priorities, in this respect it is important to consider if footways or roads can be widened to accommodate all.
There were comments raised by members with regard to visibility, congestion, parking and the overall safety of pedestrians and cyclists.
It was noted that any shared space needs proper signage to inform cyclists to consider pedestrians.
Although a full consultation has been carried out, members suggested that a series of site visits with Mr Cock are planned to look at the prioritising issues. It was agreed that members are best placed to look at the sites with Mr Cock bearing in mind their extensive local knowledge. This would, in no way delay the development, however would prove useful in looking more closely at shared space.