Venue: Council Chamber - Civic Centre, Folkestone
Contact: Kate Clark
Declarations of interest
Members of the Board should declare any discloseable pecuniary interest or any other significant interests in any item/s on this agenda.
There were no declarations of interest.
To consider and approve the minutes of the meeting held on 3 July 2017.
The minutes of the meeting held on 3 July 2017 were submitted, approved and signed by the Chairman.
Highway Works Programme
Report JTB/17/02 updates Members on the identified schemes approved
Report JTB/17/03 updates members on the identified schemes approved for 2017/18.
Members considered the report and made the following comments:
· Street lighting on Main Road needs to be more specific. Subsequently Pauline Rockett, KCC District Manager, Shepway confirmed this is in Sellindge.
· Local Growth Fund Works, an update is required on the current position along with plans of the cycle path. Pauline Rockett will assist on this. Councillor Stuart Peall pointed out that the ‘No Cycling’ sign that appeared on the cycle route in Sandgate was a surprise and it is important that this does not happen again.
· Casualty Reduction Matters, Alkham Valley Road jw A260 Canterbury Road. Councillor Dick Pascoe requires an update as mentioned in the minutes from the meeting on 3 July 2017.
· Developer Funded Works, Horn St/Church Rd. Members agreed that this junction change is not clearly marked and signs need to be reinstalled. There seems to be confusion at this junction which has resulted in several near misses. Pauline Rockett will look at reinstallation of signs with reference to a safety auditor.
· Developer Funded Works, Church Road. Members asked if the road markings could be relooked at near the entrance to enable vehicles to exit more safely.
Councillors Peall and Carey are keen to know about the yellow lines in Elham. David Petcher, Highways Engineer intends to provide information at the next JTB meeting.
To receive and note report JTB/17/02
Shepway Winter Plan - Draft
Report JTB/17/03 This handbook supplements Kent County Council Highways and Transportation’s Winter Service Policy Statement which was endorsed and adopted by Kent County Council’s (KCC) Environment, Highways and Waste Policy Overview and Scrutiny Committee (EHW POSC). This is available on the KCC website.
Report JTB/17/03 is the handbook that supplements Kent County Council Highways and Transportation’s Winter Service Policy Statement which was endorsed and adopted by Kent County Council (KCC) Environment, Highways and Waste Policy Overview and Scrutiny Committee (EHW POSC).
With regard to gritting Pauline Rockett advised that all hill routes in Shepway will be treated identically to Detling Hill and Bluebell Hill. She also said that the Dungeness Power Station approach road has been incorporated into the gritting timetable.
Members were told that farmers’ assistance is in place and have been contracted for their services.
Discussions centred around salt bags which are provided to Parish Councils. Notification will be sent to Parish Councils to ascertain their requirements.
Reference was made to the Highways England’s Winter arrangements plan and how this would relate and compare to KCC’s Winter Plan. Councillor Tony Hills will raise this question with the Environment and Transport Cabinet Committee of which he is a member.
Councillor Rory Love was keen to point out that District and County Councils recognise the impact and importance of local residents and how they can help during the Winter months. Pauline Rockett agreed and that through social media and advertising this is publicised.
That report JTB/17/03 be received and noted.