Venue: Remote meeting
Contact: Kate Clark Email: email@example.com
Appointment of Chairman
The Chairmanship of the JTB rotates annually between the District Council members and those from the County Council. For 2021-22 it is for the County Council to appoint a Chairman.
The County Council Members of the Board appointed Councillor Tony Hills
as Chairman of the Folkestone & Hythe Joint Transportation Board for 2021-22.
Appointment of Vice Chairman
A Vice Chairman is to be appointed by Folkestone & Hythe District Council for 2021-22.
The District Council Members of the Board appointed Councillor David Godfrey as Vice-Chairman of the Folkestone & Hythe Joint Transportation Board for 2021-22.
Welcome and introduction
The Chairman of the Joint Transportation Board to introduce the new members to this meeting and draw their attention to the District’s terms of reference attached.
Members introduced themselves and the Chairman welcomed new members to the Board.
Declarations of interest
Members of the Board should declare any discloseable pecuniary interest or any other significant interests in any item/s on this agenda.
Councillor Ms Susan Carey declared a voluntary announcement in respect of the Highway Works Programme – North Road as she is a resident of this road. She remained in the meeting during the discussions.
Councillor Jackie Meade declared a voluntary announcement in respect of the Highways Works Programme as she works for Network Rail. She remained in the meeting during the discussions.
Councillor Dylan Jeffrey declared a voluntary announcement in respect of the Highways Works Programme – Ashley Avenue as he often works in this area. He remained in the meeting during the discussions.
To consider and approve the minutes of the meeting held on 22 February 2021.
Proposed by Councillor Ms Susan Carey
Seconded by Councillor Mrs Ann Berry and
Resolved: The minutes of the meeting held on 22 February 2021 were submitted and approved. The Chairman’s signature would be added to these minutes as approved with the following being noted:
· That a report is brought back to the next meeting in respect of the use of Ashley Avenue, Cheriton by vehicles over 7.5 tons accessing the aggregate and recycling plant at Caesars Way.
· That it is noted that a cycle way in the Cheriton High Street needs to be addressed.
Councillor Love was able to give an update on the issues surrounding HGV’s and Ashley Avenue in that he has had talks with highway officers, who have now added temporary signage. He is due to meet with them and have a site visit and will update the board at the next meeting.
2021/22 Highway Works Programme
Report JTB/21/01 updates members on the identified schemes approved for construction in 2021.
This report updated members on the identified schemes approved for construction in 2021.
Members asked a number of questions on the schemes detailed in the report as follows:
· A2034 Cherry Garden Avenue – Councillor Jeffrey suggested that works scheduled for August 2021 should be delayed as this was the transportation route to the seafront development which is still ongoing. Mr Bowen noted this request and would report back to members the outcome.
· Blue House Lane – Councillor Love was pleased to see this work is programmed for July as it only has a small number of houses in the area but the work still needs to be done.
It was also noted that a number of roads had been misspelt in the report and a request was made to officers to correct these for future reports as it could be confusing to some.
· A260 Canterbury Road junction with Alkham Valley Road – Councillor Godfrey was disappointed to see the scheme had been shelved as residents had been informed that a review was taking place. Mr Bowen agreed to look into why this had happened and would report back to the councillor and the board.
· A2034 Cheriton Road junction with Cherry Garden Avenue – Councillor Gane was disappointed to see this scheme was on hold when it clearly needs to be reviewed.
· Risborough Lane junction with Church Road – Councillor Gane was disappointed to see this scheme had also been shelved and asked that is be reviewed again.
· B2075 Lydd Road junction with Old Romney – Councillor Hills was concerned there was no funding for this to be actioned and that officers need to push for this to happen.
· Ref 3052 Cheriton High Street – Councillor Love asked why the bus stop and shelter had not been replaced following works in this area and asked that it be dealt with as soon as possible. Mr Thompson informed that discussions were ongoing in respect of the position of the bus stop and he would report back once he had clarification.
· Ref 3053 Cheriton High Street/Cheriton Approach – Councillor Love asked that this be reviewed as further safety checks need to be completed.
· Councillor Weatherhead asked for a report back on Scanlons Bridge as this was not included in the report this time.
· Councillor Hobbs asked why a number of black and white bollards had appeared in Elham without the knowledge of the parish council.
Councillor Ms Carey was able to respond to this by saying that no one had claimed responsibility for them and that they would be removed.
· Ref SH3067 Royal Military Avenue – Councillor Love and Councillor Gane asked that street lighting is reviewed in this area as a matter of urgency due to the increase traffic and pedestrian use now.
· Ref SH3072 Martello Lakes – Councillor Weatherhead informed that a number of residents had raised concern about the lack of crossing in this area and asked for a review to take place ... view the full minutes text for item 6.
Planning of Road Closures
Information and discussion on the timing and planning of road closures within the District.
District Councillor Ian Meyers asked the Chairman of the board to raise a matter of concern he had in respect of road closures. His concern was that a number of roads had been closed at the same time in the Romney Marsh area making it difficult for him to get to an appointment at the William Harvey Hospital on time.
The Chairman asked Mr Bowen to look into this and see if the management of road closures could be reviewed. This was noted.