ModernGov

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Boulogne Room - Civic Centre Folkestone

Contact: Sue Lewis 

Items
No. Item

19.

Appointment of chairman

The committee must appoint a District councillor to chair the meeting.

Minutes:

Councillor Jennifer Hollingsbee was appointed Chairman for the meeting. 

20.

Declarations of interest

Members of the Council should declare any interests which fall under the following categories*:

a) discloseable pecuniary interests (DPI)

b) other significant interests (OSI)

c) voluntary announcements of other interests

 

Minutes:

Councillor Mrs Jenny Hollingsbee made a voluntary announcement in that she has close relatives living nearby to the Lorry Holding Park and she owns two properties within the area of search for  Otterpool Park. She remained in the meeting during discussions.

 

21.

Minutes

To receive the minutes of the meeting held on 22 September 2016.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 22 September 2016 were submitted, approved and signed by the Chairman. 

22.

Lorry Holding Area - update

Chris Lewis, Planning Advisor will provide a verbal update.

Minutes:

Mr Chris Lewis, Planning Advisor, provided an update on the current position with the proposal to provide a lorry holding park at Stanford West.  Balfour Beatty are about to submit a planning application for offices at the former Folkestone Racecourse.  Also Highways England had now established a community forum as a channel for dealing with relevant issues raised by local parish councils and residents.  He also understood Highways England was in ongoing discussions with local property owners about compensation for reduced property values. 

 

During the course of discussion Mr Lewis confirmed that the controlled motorway gantries are a commitment but should Operation Stack be needed before the completion of the controlled motorway then it was highly likely that Junction 11 on the M20 would need to be temporarily shut for safety reasons. 

 

23.

Otterpool Park - update

Chris Lewis, Planning Advisor will provide a verbal update.

 

Minutes:

Mr Chris Lewis said the Government had now confirmed the inclusion of Otterpool Park in the garden settlement programme. This was a significant step forward as the council would now have access to funding of some £750,000 as well as Government expertise. He also briefed the meeting on the recent visits which had been undertaken to other developments  as learning points for the design principles for Otterpool Park.    

 

One recurring theme was the quality and quantity of car parking provision set by current design standards and members considered that bespoke parking standards would be needed as part of the design of Otterpool Park. 

 

Discussion concluded with Mr Lewis advising going forward there would now be further work undertaken on the formal review of the Core Strategy Local Plan so as to develop more detailed planning policy for achieving growth in the district.

 

24.

Cemeteries - feedback from last meeting

Jeremy Chambers, Corporate Director – Strategic Operations will provide a verbal update. 

 

Minutes:

Jeremy Chambers, Corporate Director – Strategic Operations, provided an update on the current provision at two of the council operated cemeteries in New Romney and Lydd.  This is a matter which was first raised at the Shepway District and Parish Councils Joint Committee held on 22 September 2016.  As part of this he confirmed that a full review was carried out in 2010 which concluded that no additional burial space was required in the district and that Hawkinge Cemetery has enough space for 30-40 years.  Although not ideal for all, this fulfils the District Council’s statutory obligations. 

 

In addition New Romney Town Council has now confirmed that it does not wish to take over ownership and control of the cemetery in New Romney.  The Head of Commercial and Technical Services has met with the Mayor and Town Clerk and has confirmed that he will undertake a site visit with members of his team and New Romney Town Council in the new year to ascertain what additional space can be identified. 

 

 

25.

Possible merger of the five East Kent District Councils

Suzy Tigwell, Leadership Support Manager will provide a verbal update. 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Suzy Tigwell, Leadership Support Manager, gave a presentation on the work being undertaken between the five East Kent District Councils to identify innovative ways of working together to provide more efficient services based on partnership and expertise. 

 

The next phase is to develop a partnership business case which it is hoped will be received by the five EK districts mid December 2016.  Once the 'business case' is complete, it will be reported back to the councils for discussion before any formal commitment is made by each council to progress the idea further.

 

Members were advised that information is available on the council’s website. Including FAQs. 

 

The presentation is attached for information. 

 

 

26.

Shepway Council Budget Consultation 2017/18

To provide an opportunity for Committee Members to consider the Council’s Budget Strategy for 2017/18 and provide feedback as part of the Budget Consultation process.

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Joint Committee noted report C/16/75 by Pat Main, Head of Finance which provided members with the opportunity to consider and comment on the Council’s budget strategy for 2017/18.  Any responses to be would need to be submitted by the end of November 2016.