Personal licences to sell alcohol

Apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol

You must apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol if you're the person who'll be running a business with a premises licence to sell or supply alcohol, known as the designated premises supervisor (DPS)

Who can be a personal licence holder

You can apply if you:

You can't apply if you:

  • have given up a personal licence in the last 5 years
  • have had a previous application rejected as a result of an objection by the police

How much is costs

Personal licence to sell alcohol£37

How to apply

Complete the application form

Download, complete, and return the application form with payment to the address shown on the form.

Ensure you read the guidance to help you complete the form.

pdf icon Personal licence application [215kb]
pdf icon Personal licence to sell alcohol application guidance [41kb]

You can also pay by credit or debit card by calling us on 01303 858660.

What do I need to submit with my application?

With your completed application form include:

  • two passport sized photos
  • your Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders
  • payment
  • completed pdf icon disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration form [149kb]
  • a proof of your right to work in the United Kingdom
  • a basic disclosure certificate must be obtained and dated within one month of your application.

Further information on how to apply for a DBS check can be found on GOV.UK.

What happens next?

We'll get in touch if we need any additional information, otherwise we'll process your application in 48 hours and send out confirmation the following day to the premises' registered address.

Tell us about any changes

For your licence to remain valid you must tell us if you change your name or address, or if you are convicted of a relevant offence either during the application period or once your licence is granted.