Applying for social and affordable housing
What you need to know and how to apply for housing
To make an application for social or affordable housing (either council or housing association owned) within the district of Shepway you will need to complete our online application form which you can access on the Kent Homechoice website.
To apply to the Shepway housing list you have to meet one of the following local connection criteria:
- currently live in the district and have continuously for the past 2 years or 3 years out of the last 5 years
- work in the district for the last 6 months for 16 hours per week or more, in permanent employment (not casual)
- have close family members who currently live here and have for the last 5 years (parents, brother, sister or children) over the age of 18 years
- are currently or have served in the armed forces within the last 5 years immediately preceding your application
- have a housing need that you cannot meet from your own resources, or
- if your current home does not meet our housing requirements,
If for any reason you are unable to complete the form online email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01303 853300
When you have completed the online application form and supplied all relevant information requested it is our aim to complete the assessment of your application within 15 working days providing all supporting evidence is received. If you are accepted onto the housing list you will receive the following notification:
- Kent Homechoice number
- Band reason
- Registration / Priority date
If you or a member of your household have medical problems and this is made worse because of your current living accommodation please complete the Health Section of the online form. We aim to carry out this assessment, once all medical supporting information required has been submitted, within 40 working days. We will write to you again confirming if any additional banding has been awarded to your application.
If you wish to know more about how we allocate properties that are vacant or becoming vacant within the district this is set out in Shepway's Housing Allocation Policy.
Please note there are around 1,500 applicants on the housing list but only approximately 300 homes become available each year. This means that you could face a long wait before being successful in receiving an offer of accommodation suitable for your needs; unfortunately some people may never receive an offer.