Need help filling out a form? We now provide a web chat service from 8.30am* to 8pm weekdays and 9am to 2pm on Saturdays on this form.
*9.30am on Wednesdays

Apply for Housing Benefit

All the information about how you can claim

Do I qualify for Housing Benefit?

You can apply for Housing Benefit if you get any of these benefits, tax credits, or if you are working and have a low income:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • The 'Guaranteed Credit' part of Pension Credit

If you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.

If you're single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for your private rented property up to the shared accommodation rate under the Local Housing Allowance.

You cannot apply for Housing Benefit if you own your property or receive Universal Credit, unless you are living in specified supported accommodation.

Who isn't eligible for Housing Benefit?

Usually you won't get Housing Benefit if:

  • Your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get the 'Guarantee Credit' part of Pension Credit
  • You live in the home of a close relative
  • You're a full-time student - unless you're disabled or have children
  • You're an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
  • You're residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker

What information do I need to complete this form?

To complete this form, you will need:

  • Your claim reference number and Council Tax account number (if known)
  • The names of all adults living at the address and their National Insurance numbers and employment details
  • Details of your living arrangements including how much rent you are charged, tenancy start date, and landlord details
  • Details of any benefits you receive
  • Details of any other income, for example from self-employment or a pension
  • Details of all bank, building society, and savings accounts, including account details and amounts held

You can also use this form to apply for Council Tax Reduction at the same time.

Apply for Housing Benefit

Submitting your evidence

Once you submit the online form, if you have given your email address you will be emailed a list of any evidence required to process your application. You can use the button below to submit your evidence.

Submit your evidence

What happens next?

We'll normally start paying your benefit from the Monday after you submit your claim. Click the link to find out how we pay your Housing Benefit.

Change of circumstances

If you want to tell us something has changed on your current claim please complete our change in circumstances form.

Tell us about a change

Cancelling your Housing Benefit

If you wish to cancel your Housing Benefit, click the button below. You will need your claim reference number. You can also use this form to cancel your Council Tax Reduction at the same time.

Cancel your Housing Benefit