Search site menuicon

Organising an event

If you are organising a one off event there are applications to make, as well as guidelines to follow, all this information can be found here

If you are organising any public outdoor events in the Shepway area you only need to notify us of your event when;

  • The event is being held on Council land
  • The event requires a TPCA road closure (Town and Police Clauses Act)
  • The event is large scale or special public event where 800 or more are expected to attend at any one time (this includes private land)

We do not need to be notified of public events being held on private land, which are deemed as small scale events (where less than 799 people are expected to attend at any one time)

Events planning guidance notes

Events on council owned land

If you are organising a public outdoor events on Shepway District Council owned land, we need to know at least three months in advance of the event by completing the following forms:

pdf icon Event Application Form [148kb]

pdf icon Risk Assessment form (with guidance notes) [166kb]

Please note that fees and charges apply for the use of Council owned land for events. 

Event fees and charges

Large scale events on private land

If your event is being held on private land and is a large scale or a special public event where 800 or more are expected to attend at any one time, it will need to be referred to the Shepway Safety Advisory Group by completing the following form:

pdf icon Event Notification Form [58kb]

Please return to

Road closures

Where a road closure is necessary, you will need to inform us at least 12 weeks in advance of the event.

If you are thinking about organising an event which involves a licensable activity (sale of alcohol, performance of a plays, exhibition of a film, live or recorded music) to members of the public there are several considerations:

Temporary Event Notice

When an event requires a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) for:

  • the sale of alcohol - this could be by way of a pay bar or a glass of wine included within the ticket price, or by asking for a donation
  • extension of hours or specifying a licensed activity which is not currently included on an existing premises licence
  • the provision of hot food and hot drinks between the 11pm and 5am
  • the provision of regulated entertainment which includes: plays, films, indoor sporting events, boxing/wrestling, live music; recorded music, performance of dance

Temporary Event Notice forms

Safety Advisory Group (SAG)

We operate a Safety Advisory Group (SAG) for event applicants, and are here to offer support and guidance. Once we have received your Event Application/Notification Form we will assess the scale of your event based on the information you have given. We will be in contact with you if the group require further information or would like you to attend a SAG meeting.

Contact the events team