Search site menuicon

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Find out more information about EPCs and when you need to have one

You'll need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) each time a property is:

  • built
  • sold
  • rented

You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you put your property on the market to sell or rent.

If you don't get an EPC when you need one, you can be fined.

What is an EPC?

An EPC is a document containing:

  • information about a property's energy use and typical energy costs
  • an environmental impact rating showing how much carbon dioxide the property is expected to produce through its energy use
  • suggestions about how to reduce energy use and save money

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient). It is valid for 10 years.

EPCs must be registered and stored in the national register with a unique reference number.

How do I get an EPC?

You can get an EPC from an accredited assessor. They'll either visit the property to carry out their assessment, or they'll use the Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) calculation to produce the certificate.

You can read more about EPCs when buying and selling your home on GOV.UK.

EPCs for new buildings

You'll need an EPC for any work that creates a new dwelling, including:

  • brand new properties
  • conversions of existing buildings, like flat or barn conversions

You'll need to send an EPC to building control when the work is finished to get your completion certificate.

EPCs for business premises

You can read about EPCs for business premises on GOV.UK.