Search site menuicon

Discounts and exemptions

Disabled banding reduction scheme

You may be eligible for the scheme if you live in a larger property than you would need if you or another occupant weren't disabled

Who can get a reduction?

The Council can grant a reduction on your Council Tax if:

  • A resident (adult or child) at the property is disabled; and,
  • You have a room, or an extra bathroom or kitchen, to meet the special needs of the disability; or,
  • You use a wheelchair indoors.

How much will the bill be reduced by?

If you qualify, your bill will be reduced by putting your home in the valuation band below the one you are currently charged on, so if your home is in Band C, we put it in Band B.

If the property is in Band A, the charge will be reduced by the equivalent of one ninth of the Band D charge.

What happens next?

Once we have received the application, we'll get in touch to arrange an appointment to visit your property, normally within one month.

What information do I need to complete this form?

To complete this form, you will need:

  • Your Council Tax reference number
  • The full name of the disabled person
  • Contact details to arrange the visit
  • If you are claiming for use of a wheelchair in the property, the date you started to use the wheelchair in the property (this could be the purchase date)

Apply for disabled band reduction